Real-world-asset tokenization refers to the process of representing ownership of a tangible asset, such as a property or a work of art, as a digital token on the blockchain. This process allows for the asset to be divided into smaller, tradable units, providing liquidity and accessibility to a wider pool of investors. Tokenization of real-world assets can reduce the cost of transactions, streamline the transfer of ownership, and increase the efficiency of the market.
However, with any new technology, there are also potential risks to consider. Here is a framework for assessing the risks of Non-Fungible Tokens (NFTs) that represent real-world assets:
- 1.Legal and Regulatory Risks: The use of NFTs for real-world asset tokenization may be subject to legal and regulatory issues, including taxation, securities laws, and property rights.
- 2.Market Risks: The market for NFTs is highly volatile, and prices can fluctuate rapidly based on supply and demand. Investors in real-world asset tokenization through NFTs must be prepared for potential price volatility.
- 3.Technology Risks: NFTs are built on blockchain technology, which is still relatively new and may be subject to security vulnerabilities. It is important to assess the technical security of the blockchain platform before investing in NFTs.
- 4.Liquidity Risks: Although tokenization can increase liquidity, NFTs may still be illiquid in some markets, leading to difficulties in buying or selling the tokenized asset.
- 5.Custody Risks: Custody of the underlying real-world asset is crucial in real-world asset tokenization, and proper custody arrangements must be in place to ensure the security of the asset.
- 6.Valuation Risks: Valuation of real-world assets can be difficult, and the use of NFTs for tokenization may add complexity to the valuation process.
- 7.Other Unexpected Risk: This kind of risk can arise from a wide range of sources, including natural disasters, political instability, changes in regulations, unexpected corporate events, and technological disruptions.
Overall, real-world asset tokenization through NFTs has the potential to provide a range of benefits to investors and market participants. However, it is important to carefully assess the risks involved before making any investments in this area.
The blockchain industry has been forming various standards to manage emerging risks related to the hyper-connected ecosystem. InVar Finance holds security at its core with audits by HashEx as detailed in Audit Report, and also takes the first effort on legal and regulatory issues before product development.